Tuesday 1 November 2016

Creative Drawing - Typography

Alan Kitching and Monotype exhibiton

Recently, I visited my university's gallery to look at the typography exhibition with Alan Kitching (a leading practitioner in letterpress, typography and design). Monotyping is the global trailblazers in type, and home to some of the worlds most popular typefaces. It shows the process behind making the collection, following the journey from research to workshop space and pieces through to the final outcomes. His way of working is by screen printing and overlapping and layering. This looks so minimal but so effective at the same time. Using a variety of fonts is important as it can change the mood to a piece of work. Typography is used all the time and exploring this by looking at Alan Kitching's work is very exciting. 


  

After visiting this, I wanted to explore with fonts and my own handwriting. That's slightly different to what Alan Kitching as he screen prints but instead, I used my own work and photoshop. Inspired by Kitching himself, I wanted to try layering and use different fonts in order to create a piece. 



This piece below is my favourite piece as it's similar to Alan Kitching's in the sense that it's overlapping and using layers. I've interpreted it in my own way by placing it over the top of a fashion illustration and using photoshop to create more layers of paint. 



No comments:

Post a Comment