Thursday 13 October 2016

Creative Drawing - Draped fabrics

Drawing draped fabrics is extremely difficult and has been something i've always struggled with, and after this session, I still can't get to grips with it, even after four and half hours of practising. However, drawing in Passiv Haus always makes things better with how beautiful it actually is for a drawing studio.

Passiv Haus
The draping, creases and fold of fabrics is by the far the hardest thing to draw, especially if the fabric has a pattern as it looks like an optical illusion. One of the fabrics I drew did exactly that as it was striped and the stripes seemed to be going here, there and everywhere! Every time I went to draw a line, I lost it after I would glance at my paper, which was a massive pain. The aim was to get use to drawing different fabrics and drawing their shadows with a variety of medias.



My most effective pieces were the quick sketches I completed, by doing a blind and a continuous line drawing, as the lines are quick and get the basic shape of the garment. Using mixed media within a piece helps the shape and lines come to life a little bit more.



 Doing this task has enabled me to understand the fabrics shadows and shape and understand that each fabric drapes differently depending on the thickness of the material. Drawing draped fabric will always be my weakness, but i'm glad i've spent time analysing a variety of fabrics further which will help me with my work in my other two units.

No comments:

Post a Comment